GREYSTONE PARK PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL
- Project Overview
- Project Details
Parsippany, New Jersey
TOTAL SQUARE FOOTAGE:
458,000 sq. ft.
Torcon completed construction of the new Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital in Morris County, New Jersey. The state-run mental health facility first opened its doors in 1876 and currently treats 550 patients in dozens of buildings on the sprawling 300 acre campus. Several of Greystone’s existing structures were demolished to make way for the new 458,000 square foot, 510 bed state-of-the-art facility.
The new replacement hospital significantly enhances patient care by keeping housing programs and services in one facility to allow patients to spend less time in transit and more time receiving treatment and services. The ten interconnected buildings include six three-story wings featuring 25-bed patient areas. Each has a center core support area for staff and its own dining area. The remaining four support buildings provide classrooms, a library and a treatment/medical services building. Two of the four are administrative buildings, with an auditorium, main entry lobby with artistic stained glass enclosures, a gymnasium and a kitchen/cafeteria area.
Unlike the current facilities, the new hospital features central air conditioning and their own boilers. Mechanical services include 25 roof-top air handlers, four chillers, two cooling towers, four boilers, 79 exhaust fans, 35 unit heaters , 12 A/C split systems and a computer-controlled management system.
Outside the hospital itself, site work includes a basketball court and swimming pool, landscaped courtyards, new entry driveways, access roads, parking area and landscaping. Site utilities include new storm, sanitary and water services, retention ponds, and new electrical and natural gas services.
In addition to the new hospital, Torcon also completed renovations and upgrades to several buildings and grounds facilities. A new Hospital police station was built, and an existing barn was renovated to accommodate the building and grounds department. Three of the existing residential cottages were also renovated.