Projects

Seton Hall University

EXPANSION & RENOVATION PROJECTS

  • Project Overview
  • Project Detail

LOCATION:
South Orange, New Jersey

COMPLETED:
September 2014

TOTAL SQUARE FOOTAGE:
Aquinas Hall — 40,000 sq. ft.
Stafford Hall — 25,000 sq. ft 

PROJECT SERVICES:
Construction Management

Torcon’s relationship with Seton Hall University began in 1985 with the construction of a new 500-student dormitory and a recreation center expansion to Walsh Gym. Over the years, Torcon has completed numerous other projects, including several other residence facilities, a new academic building at the center of campus, and a parking garage.

Torcon is currently completing three construction phase projects on the campus:

Aquinas Hall
An expansion and upgrade to existing on-campus residential facility. Construction activities began in Summer ’13 with renovations to existing bathrooms to provide plumbing risers to the new fourth floor. Additional work included the new 10,000 sq. ft., three-story addition and the 25,000 sq. ft. fourth floor overbuild. The new fourth floor and the addition added 64 student rooms, in a two-bed-per-room arrangement, 18 ADA accessible rooms and two priest suites. The addition also provides student lounges and social space on each floor.

Torcon renovated all bathrooms in the existing dorm and completed ADA compliance and life safety upgrades. A new lobby (5000 sq. ft.)  was also added, with two elevators. Improvements within the existing building included new energy efficient windows and fully renovated and redesigned rest rooms.

Stafford Hall
Simultaneous with the Aquinas Hall work was the replacement of Stafford Hall. The original Stafford Hall was built in 1863 and had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1889. After a second fire in 1909, the first floor was rebuilt and a peaked roof was placed over it, which resulted in a stunted version of the original structure.

Stafford was torn down and replaced with a new academic building designed in a style that complements its immediate neighbor, President’s Hall. The building is connected to President’s Hall and Marshall Hall on three levels and has elevator access, which was not available before in any of the buildings. The addition of the elevator allows all three structures to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act without requiring major alterations to the two historic structures.

The new three-story classroom building provides more classroom space, with twelve state-of-the-art classrooms for the future. Each room has a capacity of 35 students while several of the classrooms can accommodate 50 to 70 students.

Garage
A third project involved an expansion of the on-campus parking deck. A five-story addition was completed over an existing tennis court, providing much-needed student parking space for 600 cars.

The new precast structure is connected to the existing parking facility at all levels and uses the existing facility’s entry/exit system and circulation ramps. The project was challenged by its logistics, including a very tight sight, limited roadway access, and the presence of vulnerable underground utilities. Torcon phased the critical garage connections to occur during the summer to minimize the loss of parking spaces. Construction was completed on schedule, in time for the start of the fall semester.